Top tips from Rowe & King on conquering Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales by le Tour de France
3rd June 2016
One of the most iconic sportives in the UK (returning for its 13th year in 2016), Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales by le Tour de France and the Dragon Tour are taking place this weekend. Here are a few words of wisdom from Rowe & King, to help ensure you get the most out of your day.
- Have an easy day or two before your event to let yourself recover for the big day. You should factor this in to any training plan you have.
- Eat well the night before and have a good breakfast. Some energy drink and gels will help in the last 20 miles, so stick some in your pocket. Early on in the race, you will likely feel strong and like you don’t need to eat, but then with 15 miles to go, you will blow and it will be too late to get the food in. Start eating early on to give yourself the best possible chance of getting to the finish in good shape.
- Pace yourself. Start out steady and you can always pick the pace at a later stage. Start too fast, and it could be a tough ride back if you blow!
- Make sure your bike is in good working order – nothing worse than intermittent breaks, a puncture or a buckled wheel. It’s not safe for you, or your fellow competitors so make sure you get your bike serviced.
- Enjoy! Don’t forget to relax and soak up the whole experience – it’s a really unique event, with some fantastic roads and scenery.