Job vacancy: Senior Operations Manager
19th December 2016
Company: Human Race Ltd (part of the Amaury Sport Organisation [A.S.O])
Position: Senior Operations Manager
Location: In our Chessington office in South West London (KT9 1RH)
Contract Type: Permanent
Start Date: ASAP (between February & May 2019), flexible for right candidate – please state your availability in your application
Salary: Competitive (please state your salary expectations in your application letter)
Human Race (www.humanrace.co.uk) is the UK’s leading mass participation event’s company, organising over 25 events each year across running, cycling, triathlon, and duathlon. We are part of the Amaury Sport Organisation (A.S.O.) who are the owners of Le Tour de France and the leader in the French running and sportive market, with events such as the Paris Marathon, Etape du Tour and the Paris-Roubaix.
Human Race has offices in London and Manchester and our prestigious portfolio includes the Cancer Research UK London Winter Run, Greater Manchester Marathon, Manchester Half Marathon, Royal Windsor Triathlon, Tour de Yorkshire Ride, and the Dragon Ride. We also specialise in delivering bespoke corporate events, working with businesses such as JLL on their property triathlon, and delivering large events for charities such as the London Landmarks Half Marathon.
Our events bring together an active community of people taking part in sporting events for reasons ranging from fitness, competition, charity, health, fun or to simply finish. The event participants vary from nervous first timers of all ages, through to World Champions; collectively, the events raise millions of pounds for hundreds of charities.
At Human Race we aim to create, sell and organise world class events that will stand the test of time. We pride ourselves in operating as a sophisticated business in respect of any sector, a place where people can learn a lot and their careers can flourish. Human Race is fast-paced & fun place to work, with a great team atmosphere, Wednesday sports club activities, and filled with people who take great pride in the work that we do.
Purpose of the Role
We are looking for a Senior Operations Manager who can bring their extensive experience within the mass participation events industry to manage the delivery of events within the Human Race portfolio and to ensure that all events are delivered to a high specification, therefore continuing to uphold our reputation in the marketplace.
You will be required to ensure that each event you deliver is planned and organised in advance, therefore facilitating a safe, smooth & efficiently run event on the day, and to ensure that your events adhere & comply with health and safety requirements.
You will take on a responsible organisational and delivery role for significant area of planning needed for our larger events.
You will also provide where necessary, guidance, leadership, and operational support to others in the Operations team and their events.
You will research and develop new event concepts and venues.
- To manage events within the existing Human Race portfolio at Event Director level, specifically some of the most complex events, but will include a variety of events across cycling, running and triathlon
- To produce the event documentation including but not limited to route maps, site plans, operations manuals, health & safety documentation, staff responsibilities, traffic management plans etc
- To liaise with the marketing and administration departments to ensure all relevant information is communicated
- To ensure that all permissions, risk assessments and method statements are completed and submitted in a timely fashion
- To manage the event site and route including all infrastructure and personnel throughout set up, event day(s) and break down
- To assist in the management of all Human Race equipment both on site at events and in storage throughout the year
- To ensure our events adhere to safe working practices and procedures. Documenting and communicating those practices where necessary
- To identify opportunities to improve operations and service methods and procedures; assist in the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for assigned areas to ensure quality service
- To manage operational event staff, preparing work schedules and assigning specific tasks
- To contract and manage suppliers to ensure that they efficiently and effectively provide their services whilst staying within budgeted limits
- To manage event budgets and report to the Senior Management Team where required
- To ensure that all operational documents are maintained and updated (e.g. contingency procedures)
- To assess new venues and routes for new events and to work with the Senior Management Team to identify new event opportunities and concepts
- With the Director of Operations (as a senior member of the team you will deputize for them if/where required)
- With the Senior Management Team to ensure strong business compliance and strategic planning & delivery
- With others in the Operations Team
- With operational staff, crew and volunteers
- With event stakeholders such as venues, councils, other SAG members, residents and businesses, contractors and participants, to ensure the successful delivery of events
Skills and Experience Required
Relevant Experience For The Role:
- 4 / 5+ Years in Event Operations
- Experience of organising & delivering mass participation sporting events at Event Director level
- Experience of organising closed roads events and planning for / managing the road closure & re-opening process (is preferred but not necessary)
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, positivity, and good humour
- Team player, resourceful, and with an ability to work using their own initiative
- Proven ability of clear, efficient, and effective decision making skills
- Plan, organise, and deliver complex large mass participation events to a high standard and within budget
- Good organisational skills, attention to detail, and time-management skills
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Interact courteously and effectively with the participants, staff, contractors and the public
- Recognise & analyze potential problems, identify solutions, propose actions and implement recommendations in support of goals
- Deal effectively with challenging queries and situations
- Manage sensitive and confidential matters or situations
- Provide administrative and professional leadership and direction / guidance for other members of the operations team, temporary crew, and contractors
- Research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures, and techniques
- Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Attention to detail
- Goes the extra mile & willing to get hands on and stuck in
- A focus on quality
- Prioritise participant experience
- A full driving licence is essential to the role
- Willing to drive a van and get stuck in on event site
- Experience of writing risk assessments and of applying Health & Safety processes
- A love of sport, particularly running, swimming, cycling, triathlon
- An energetic disposition
- Willing to work multiple weekends throughout the year & to work unsociable hours, including staying away from home as/where necessary in week & on event weekends. (All travel and accommodation for weekend working is paid for, lieu days given in return for weekend days worked).
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter or email introducing yourself & your ability to do the role, to: email@example.com
Within your Cover Letter/Email please also include the following:
- The role title you are applying for (we have more than one role open at present)
- The earliest date in 2019 that you would be available to start
- Your salary expectations
All applications should be submitted ASAP.
Interviews will start in January and please note these will / may take place whilst applications for the role is still open.