Job Vacancy: Senior Events Manager
19th March 2019
Company: Human Race Ltd
Position: Senior Events Manager
Location: Chessington, KT9 1RH
Contract Type: Permanent, commencing May 2019
Date of Closing: 4 April 2019
Human Race (www.humanrace.co.uk) is the UK’s leading mass participation event’s company, organising over 25 events each year across running, cycling, triathlon, and duathlon. We are part of the Amaury Sport Organisation (A.S.O.) who are the owners of Le Tour de France and the leader in the French running and sportive market, with events such as the Paris Marathon, Etape du Tour and the Paris-Roubaix.
Human Race has offices in London and Manchester and our prestigious portfolio includes the Cancer Research UK London Winter Run, Greater Manchester Marathon, Manchester Half Marathon, Royal Windsor Triathlon, Tour de Yorkshire Ride, and the Dragon Ride. We also specialise in delivering bespoke corporate events, working with businesses such as JLL on their property triathlon, and delivering large events for charities such as the London Landmarks Half Marathon.
Our events bring together an active community of people taking part in sporting events for reasons ranging from fitness, competition, charity, health, fun or to simply finish. The event participants vary from nervous first timers of all ages, through to World Champions; collectively, the events raise millions of pounds for hundreds of charities.
At Human Race we aim to create, sell and organise world class events that will stand the test of time. We pride ourselves in operating as a sophisticated business in respect of any sector, a place where people can learn a lot and their careers can flourish. Human Race is fast-paced & fun place to work, with a great team atmosphere, a Wednesday sports club, and filled with people who take great pride in the work that we do.
Purpose of the Role
We are looking for a Senior Events Manager who can bring their extensive previous experience of working on large complex mass participation road running events in central London (as an example London Winter Run has over 23,000 entrants and we are hoping to grow it further) to take the lead as Venue Director and develop the event planning as required.
You will use your previous experience to take the lead on the design as well as the on the day management of the ‘venue’ of the London Winter Run and the London Landmarks Half Marathon events, planning the arrival, start and finish processes / areas and all the crowd management, relationship management and logistical knowledge required that goes into that.
You will also bring your knowledge of Trafalgar Square and experience of working on city wide community engagement projects to play a key role working with the Greater London Authority in the further development of the benefits of the London Winter Run to all. Alongside delivering a world class event in Central London will be the need to drive forward our responsibility towards community engagement. Understanding the needs of the City and stakeholders and taking a leadership role in our community projects within the events is vital. For example working with lonely and isolated, the homeless or other groups we are trying to support.
You should also have hands on experience of other types of mass participant events to enable you to manage the delivery, as Event Director, of other events within the Human Race portfolio and to ensure that all events are planned in advance and delivered to a high specification, therefore continuing to uphold our reputation in the marketplace.
You will also provide operational support to others in the Operations team on their events and will research and develop new event concepts and venues.
• To be Venue Director for the London Winter Run & London Landmarks Half Marathon, designing the site and managing all relevant stakeholders and relationships as necessary. To take a lead in the community engagement project
• To manage events within the existing Human Race portfolio at Event Director level, specifically some of the most complex events, but will include a variety of events across cycling, running and triathlon
• Production of event documentation including but not limited to route maps, site plans, operations manuals, health & safety documentation, staff responsibilities, traffic management plans etc
• To liaise with the marketing and administration departments to ensure all relevant information is communicated
• To ensure that all permissions, risk assessments and method statements are completed and submitted in a timely fashion
• To manage the event site and route including all infrastructure and personnel throughout set up, event day(s) and break down
• To assist in the management of all Human Race equipment both on site at events and in storage throughout the year
• To ensure our events adhere to safe working practices and procedures. Documenting and communicating those practices where necessary
• To identify opportunities to improve operations and service methods and procedures; assist in the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for assigned areas to ensure quality service
• To manage operational event staff, preparing work schedules and assigning specific tasks
• To contract and manage suppliers to ensure that they efficiently and effectively provide their services whilst staying within budgeted limits
• To manage event budgets and report to the Senior Management Team where required
• To ensure that all operational documents are maintained and updated (e.g. operations manuals and time lines)
• To assess new venues and routes for new events and to work with the Senior Management Team to identify new event opportunities and concepts
• With the Director of Operations (as a senior member of the team you will deputise for them if/where required)
• With the wider Senior Management Team to ensure strong business compliance and strategic planning and delivery
• With the rest of the Operations Team and the external crew + volunteers
• With event stakeholders such as venues, councils, SAG members, residents and businesses, participants, contractors to ensure the successful delivery of events
Skills and Experience Required
Relevant Experience For The Role
• In-depth knowledge of event operations
• Experience of organising and delivering large & complex mass participation sports events at Event Director level
• Experience of organising closed roads events and planning for / managing the road closure & re-opening process
• Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, positivity, and good humour
• Team player, resourceful, and with an ability to work using their own initiative
• Proven ability of clear, efficient, and effective decision making skills, including when under pressure
• Plan, organise, and deliver complex large mass participation events to a high standard and within budget
• Good organisational skills, attention to detail, and time-management skills
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Interact courteously and effectively with the participants, staff, contractors and the public
• Recognise & analyse potential problems, identify solutions, propose actions and implement recommendations in support of goals
• Deal effectively with challenging queries and situations
• Manage sensitive and confidential matters or situations
• Provide administrative and professional leadership and direction / guidance for other members of the operations team, temporary crew, and contractors
• Research, analyse, and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures, and techniques
• Exercise good judgement, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs
• Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
• Attention to detail
• Goes the extra mile & willing to get hands on and stuck in
• A focus on quality
• Prioritise participant experience
• A full driving licence is essential to the role
• Willing to drive a van and get stuck in on event site
• Experience of writing event risk assessments and of applying Health & Safety processes
• A love of sport, particularly running, swimming, cycling, triathlon
• An energetic disposition
• Willing to work multiple weekends & unsociable hours (event delivery + support at events to others in team), including staying away from home as/where necessary in week & on event weekends (all travel and accommodation for weekend working is paid for, lieu days given in return for weekend days worked).
How To Apply
To apply please send your CV plus a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org