Job Vacancy – Marketing and Communications Executive – Running events
27th January 2020
Company: Human Race
Position: Marketing and Communications Executive – Running events
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Contract Type: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: up to £21k
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in triathlon, cycling, running and swimming. The company has recently been acquired by ASO, one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably Le Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Paris Marathon.
We are looking for a Marketing Executive to support the Senior Marketing Manager in driving awareness and registrations for our running events. They will also form part of the wider Marketing team, with a number of their own responsibilities. Human Race organises some of the country’s leading running events including the Cancer Research UK London Winter Run 10k, the Manchester Marathon, and the Tommy’s Manchester Half. We also have a strong portfolio of other sporting events.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a small duathlon we’ve run for 29 years or a Major event in central London.
Great extra benefits you get at Human Race
- Wednesday Sports club, from 5-a-side football to boardgames, we’ve done it all, and everyone is encouraged to get involved.
- Friday beer trolley – kick off your weekend with a drink at the office
- Summer hours – during non-event weeks in the summer we finish up at lunch time (as long as you’ve finished your work!)
- Free entry for you into any of our events – including ASO events in Europe
- 5x free entries for friends and family – with discounted prices after that.
- Regular Social events including a Summer party, Christmas party, New Year’s party as well as unscheduled but regular monthly events
- Weekly Fresh fruit basket
- Cycle to work scheme – we love to ride!
Purpose of the Role
The Human Race marketing team is responsible for delivering the commercial strategy and marketing activation for around 20 events per year in the sports of triathlon, running and cycling. The Marketing and Communications Executive will assist in delivering the marketing activity for the three running events and work with the team to devise the overarching strategy. Ultimately the aim is to attract as many participants as possible, making the events famous and helping to drive awareness for the events sponsors and partners. The role will involve a lot of variety, and whilst there will be support from across the commercial and marketing team, the Marketing and Communications Executive will be responsible for managing their own workload and hitting key deadlines.
- Activate aspects of the marketing plans for all Running events organised by Human Race
- Develop and expand grassroots relationships, for example with running clubs
- Deliver PR and Communications (press release writing and distribution, management of sport specific and local media relationships, hosting of media events)
- Grow and develop relationships with key local stakeholders e.g. councils, community groups and tourist boards
- Manage and create content for the Social Media channels
- Seek out and generate new contra-marketing and media partnerships with relevant businesses and other bodies
- Work alongside the marketing teams of the events sponsors to deliver joint marketing activities
- To attend a number of the events as a representative of the Human Race commercial team and to carry out relevant duties within that event
- Manage fulfilment of advertising campaigns, writing copy & briefing design agencies
- Contribute creativity to marketing plans and campaigns, whilst remaining commercially aware
- Fulfil a number of administration duties (data management etc)
- With the Senior Marketing Manager plus the Digital and Partnerships teams
- With the wider Commercial Team, particularly Head of Marketing
Skills and Experience Required
- A creative thinker, confident with expressing opinions and generating new ideas
- A commercial mind with strong networking skills
- Personable and passionate
- Very good project and time management skills
- Ability to self-manage
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in meetings / on the telephone and in writing
- Be able to write copy in different tones of voice appropriate to the relevant audience
- Ideally educated to degree standard
- Previous work experience within a sports environment would be an advantage
- Min 1-2 years marketing and communications experience either agency or in-house
- Networking / building relationships having successfully set up partnerships
- A passion for running would be very beneficial for the role
- A love of sport in general and an energetic disposition
- Full clean driving licence would be useful
- Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends
To apply, please send your CV to Chris Atkinson (email@example.com).
Deadline is Friday 7th February 2020