Job Vacancy – Content and Community Manager (Marketing)
9th June 2021
Company: Human Race
Position: Content and Community Manager (Marketing)
Location: Chessington, Surrey (30 mins on the train line from Clapham Junction) + Home Working
Contract Type: Temp to Perm. Starting part time at 4 days a week and then 5 days a week from August.
Salary: Depending on experience (this is a mid-level role)
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in running, triathlon, and cycling. The company is part of ASO, one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably the Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Paris Marathon.
We have created a new role to support the wider marketing team and reporting directly to the Marketing Director. The role will be responsible for managing and nurturing the various online communities for each of our events as well as creating content to be used on Social and other channels. In this role you will need to be comfortable setting strategy as well as executing it. Human Race organises some of the country’s leading running events including the Cancer Research UK London Winter/Summer Run 10k, the Manchester Marathon, and the Manchester Half. We also have a strong portfolio of other sporting events in Cycling and Triathlon.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals, values and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a triathlon we’ve run for 30 years or a major event in central London.
At the moment the role will be remotely based, but when the offices reopen (post 21 June, or when the government roadmap allows) the intention will be a mix of remote and office working
Great extra benefits you get at Human Race (when the office is open, and the COVID-19 Situation allows)
- Wednesday Sports club, from 5-a-side football to board games, we’ve done it all, and everyone is encouraged to get involved.
- Friday beer trolley – kick off your weekend with a drink at the office
- Summer hours – during non-event weeks in the summer we finish up on a Friday lunch time (if you’ve finished your work!)
- Free entry for you into any of our events – including ASO events in Europe
- 5x free entries for friends and family – with discounted prices after that.
- Regular Social events including a Summer party, Christmas party, New Year’s party as well as unscheduled but regular monthly events
- Weekly Fresh fruit basket
- Cycle to work scheme – we love to ride!
Purpose of the Role
The Human Race marketing team is responsible for delivering the commercial strategy and marketing activation for around 12 major events per year in the sports of running, triathlon and cycling. The Content and Community Manager will lead on creating the social media and content strategy and delivering engaging content for each of our events in their own specific brand tone and voice across their channels. They will also play a critical role in working to support the Partnership Team, in the co-creation of campaigns that deliver results for our sponsors, charities and commercial partners. At the same time, this person will be responsible for directly engaging with and nurturing our various communities online. The role will involve a lot of variety, and whilst there will be support from across the commercial and marketing team, the Content and Community Manager will be responsible for managing their own workload and hitting key deadlines.
- Set social media content strategy across 7 different brands each with up to 4 channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Strava)
- Execute the agreed strategy by capturing, creating, writing, and editing content.
- Monitoring our social media channels and supporting and nurturing our fans and followers with their questions and comments (in partnership with the Participant Services team)
- Identify and work with various social media influencers or groups as part of overall marketing campaign and strategy.
- Work closely with the Partnerships team and our various Sponsors to create organic campaigns that deliver on their specific KPI’s
- Our ears to the social media ground – Investigating potential new channels that may be of relevance to Human Race.
- Beyond social media, content creation for email, other CRM campaigns and our websites (i.e. strong copywriting and creative skills needed)
- To attend several of the events as a representative of the Human Race commercial team and to carry out relevant duties within that event
- Contribute creativity to overall marketing plans and campaigns, whilst remaining commercially aware
- With the Marketing Director and Senior Marketing Manager plus the Digital and Partnerships teams
- With the wider Commercial Team (Participant Services, Sales)
Skills and Experience Required
- A creative thinker, confident with expressing opinions and generating new ideas
- A commercial mind with strong networking skills
- Personable and passionate
- Very good project and time management skills
- Ability to self-manage
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in meetings / on the telephone and in writing
- Be able to write copy in different tones of voice appropriate to the relevant audience
- Customer centric and ability to sympathise with our participants
- Design skills (photoshop)
- Basic Photography skills
- Videography and Video Editing skills
- We hate jargon but a ‘digital native’
- Understanding of and ability to work with and co-ordinate influencers
- Ideally educated to degree standard
- Previous work experience within an advertising/digital agency would be beneficial
- 3-5 years Social Media marketing, content, and communications experience either agency or in-house.
- A portfolio of work and demonstratable example of different campaigns or accounts worked on would be required
- A passion for sport or endurance sport is not a requirement, however it would be beneficial. If not, something you are already involved with you will need to be able to quickly grasp the cultures around the different audiences (for example writing training content, understanding triathlon rules etc)
- Full clean driving licence would be useful
- Experience working on events would be beneficial
- Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends (time in lieu will be granted in return)
- Because of the nature of social media – Working hours may be varied and need to be more flexible to ensure we are available at the right times for our communities. This will be worked out with your manager.
Deadline is 20 June 2021
Please email: Dave.Suter@humanrace.co.uk (please no agencies)