Cycling legend Stephen Roche reveals top tips for riding on a velodrome
4th May 2016
The ever popular Telegraph London Cycle Sportive powered by Maserati is taking place on 26th June, offering three stunning routes from 49km, 104km and 166km. All three courses include an unforgettable finishing lap around the 1948 Olympic Velodrome at Herne Hill and in order to make sure you get the most out of this iconic Olympic venue event ambassador, and Triple Crown winner, Stephen Roche has given his top tips for taking on the velodrome.
Stephen Roche tips to tackle the velodrome:
1. Live the experience and appreciate it – it’s a great opportunity so enjoy every moment. The atmosphere is fantastic, with hundreds of friends and family waiting to cheer you on, it’s a feeling very few can experience. And do it for fun – don’t necessarily worry about a PB, do it for the sake of taking part and experiencing the event in such an iconic setting.
2. When taking on the timed lap be safe – falling off on the road is one thing, but falling off in front of all the spectators might be a bit more embarrassing! Try to remember there are others around you who may be less experienced, so be very, very careful.
3. Stay three feet off the back, or three inches as the very minimum – a waiver or twitch on the brakes can change the gap very quickly, so always anticipate something that might happen.
4. Move out to avoid others, and brake when necessary, but give plenty of room for others to go around you too. If you are overtaking others make sure nobody else is coming before you pull out.
5. Stay calm and calculated – after riding 48, 104 or 166km at the Telegraph London Cycle Sportive powered by Maserati you will need to keep something in the tank for the big finish. Remember though, switch off race mode to stay safe.
Hundreds have already entered into The Telegraph London Cycle Sportive powered by Maserati with entries expected to once again sell out. Places are available on a first come, first served basis through www.humanrace.co.uk/cycling . The Sportive is part of the 2016 Human Race Sportive Series presented by BIKE which also includes esteemed events such as the Chiltern 100 and L’Etape London by Tour de France.