Advanced Ability Scooting
16th September 2015
According to Micro Scooters Ltd, UK kids are set to scoot over 16.2 million miles (the equivalent of circumnavigating the world 650 times) to school this year* on scooters. On this page you will find advice on how to choose the right scooter for you, how to prepare it for your race, how to scoot the race safely and techniques to improve your scooting.
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR SCOOTER FOR THE RACE
- Spin the wheels of your scooter to make sure they go round easily and do not stick.
- Check that the wheels do not wobble from side to side.
- Push the scooter’s brakes. The wheels should stop going round.
- Check the end of your handlebars have their grips secured properly – otherwise it could be dangerous if you fall on them.
- Check your height adjustment lever is secure.
Scooting is healthy, sustainable, safe and fun – which is why more and more children and adults are taking up the habit. For those children who are confident on their scooters and are looking at ways to improve their skills this page offers all the advice you may need.
- Do make sure you know how to operate the scooter; learn the correct technique for stopping your scooter (that doesn’t involve dragging your foot along the floor) here.
- For those confident on a traditional scooter they make enjoy a “joystick” style handlebar it gives an extra challenge to scooting. Many children describe having this style of handlebar akin to “surfing” the pavement.
- Improve your reaction times and dexterity by setting up a scooting course. Weaving in and out of cones, completing loop the loop, or negotiating bumps in the road can all help improve your standard of scooting.
- Head up, hands placed firmly on the handlebars, foot as close to the front of the scooter deck as possible, smile and have fun!
For more advice on scooting safely, to find the right scooter for you and to find inspiration and suggestions on how to decorate your scooter visit www.micro-scooters.co.uk
*figure based on average 1 mile per day walk to school on 250 days per year and total sales of Mini Micro Scooters in 2008
WHO ARE MICRO?
Well, where do we start…
Micro Scooters are the biggest selling children scooters in the UK and Ireland. Our iconic range of three wheeled scooters are loved by families across the UK for their superior quality, ease of riding and fantastic value for money.
The business was founded nearly 8 years ago when by chance Anna Gibson spotted a Mini Micro while walking on Clapham Common with her son Edward. Like nearly every other mum on Earth she sometimes found it difficult to get out and about with the children with all buggy paraphernalia, grumpy child etc. The scooter, Anna believed would allow Edward an easy, fun and safe way to get around when they were both out. So she bought one for Edward, she then bought some for her friend’s children, her friend’s friend’s children and very quickly started selling them locally.
Eight years on and with nearly a million children scooting to school every day we find ourselves at the heart of a wonderful scooting storm!