Job vacancy: Senior Operations Manager
17th February 2017
Job and Person Specification
Company: Human Race
Position: Senior Operations Manager
Location: Chessington, KT9 1RH
Contract Type: Permanent
Start Date: April 2017
Salary: Competitive (please state your salary expectations in your application letter)
Human Race (www.humanrace.co.uk) is the UK’s leading mass participation event’s company, organising over 30 events each year in triathlon, cycling, running, duathlon and open water swimming. Human Race is part of Amaury Sport Organisation (A.S.O.) the owners of le Tour de France and the leaders in the French running and sportive market. Human Race’s prestigious portfolio includes the Windsor Triathlon, Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales, the Cancer Research UK Winter Run Series and VitalityMove.
We also specialise in delivering bespoke corporate events, working with businesses such as JLL and Cisco. Our events bring together an active community of people taking part in sporting events for reasons ranging from fitness, competition, charity, health, fun or to simply finish. The event participants vary from nervous first timers of all ages, through to World Champions; collectively, the events raise millions of pounds for hundreds of charities.
At Human Race we aim to create, sell and organise world class events that will stand the test of time. We pride ourselves in operating as a sophisticated business in respect of any sector, a place where people can learn a lot and their careers can flourish.
Human Race is fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere and filled with people who take great pride in the work that we do.
Purpose of the Role
We are looking for a Senior Operations Manager who can bring their extensive experience within the mass participation events industry to manage the delivery of events within the Human Race portfolio and to ensure that all events are delivered to a high specification, therefore continuing to uphold our reputation in the marketplace. You will be required to ensure that each event is planned and organised in advance, therefore facilitating a smooth and efficiently run event on the day, and to ensure that your events adhere and comply with health and safety requirements. You will provide operational support to the Directors and also the rest of the Operations team. You will research and develop new event concepts and venues.
- To manage events within the existing Human Race portfolio at Event Director level, specifically some of the most complex events, but will include a variety of events across cycling, running and triathlon
- Production of event documentation including but not limited to route maps, site plans, operations manuals, health & safety documentation, staff responsibilities, traffic management plans etc.
- To liaise with the marketing and administration departments to ensure all relevant information is communicated
- To ensure that all permissions, risk assessments and method statements are completed and submitted in a timely fashion
- To manage the event site and route including all infrastructure and personnel throughout set up, event day(s) and break down
- To assist in the management of all Human Race equipment both on site at events and in storage throughout the year
- To ensure our events adhere to safe working practices and procedures. Documenting and communicating those practices where necessary
- To identify opportunities to improve operations and service methods and procedures; assist in the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for assigned areas to ensure quality service
- To manage operational event staff, preparing work schedules and assigning specific tasks
- To contract and manage suppliers to ensure that they efficiently and effectively provide their services whilst staying within budgeted limits
- To manage event budgets and report to the Senior Management Team where required
- To ensure that all operational documents are maintained and updated (e.g. operations manuals and time lines)
- To assess new venues and routes for new events and to work with the Senior Management Team to identify new event opportunities and concepts
- With the Director of Operations – you will be their number 2 in the Operations Team
- With the wider Senior Management Team to ensure strong business compliance and strategic planning and delivery
- With Operations staff and crew
- With event stakeholders such as venues, councils, SAG members, residents and businesses, participants, contractors to ensure the successful delivery of events
Skills and Experience Required
Relevant Experience For The Role:
- 5+ Years in Event Operations
- Experience of organising & delivering mass participation sports events at Event Director level
- Experience of organising closed roads events and planning for / managing the road closure & re-opening process
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, positivity, and good humour
- Team player, resourceful, and with an ability to work using their own initiative
- Proven ability of clear, efficient, and effective decision making skills
- Plan, organise, and deliver complex events to a high standard and within budget
- Good organisational skills, attention to detail and time-management skills
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Interact courteously and effectively with the participants, staff, contractors and the public
- Recognise & analyse potential problems, identify solutions, propose actions and implement recommendations in support of goals
- Deal effectively with challenging queries and situations
- Manage sensitive and confidential matters or situations
- Provide administrative and professional leadership and direction / guidance for other members of the operations team, temporary crew, and contractors
- Research, analyse, and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures, and techniques
- Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Attention to detail
- Goes the extra mile & willing to get hands on and stuck in
- A focus on quality
- Prioritise participant experience
- A full driving licence is essential to the role
- Willing to drive a van and get stuck in on event site
- Experience of writing risk assessments and of applying Health & Safety processes
- A love of sport, particularly running, swimming, cycling, triathlon
- An energetic disposition
- Willing to work multiple weekends & unsociable hours (event delivery + support at events to others in team), including staying away from home as/where necessary in week & on event weekends (all travel and accommodation for weekend working is paid for, lieu days given in return for weekend days worked).
How To Apply:
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter (please include your salary expectations in your letter) to email@example.com by 28th February 2017.