Job vacancy: Operations Intern
27th September 2017
Job and Person Specification
Company: Human Race
Position: Operations Intern
Location: Chessington, KT9 1RH
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract (October – end of March 2018)
Salary: £1,145.63 per month (for under 25 year olds) or £1,218.75 per month (for over 25 year olds)
Holiday: 20 days per annum (pro rata)
Human Race (www.humanrace.co.uk) is the UK’s leading mass participation event’s company, organising over 30 events each year in triathlon, cycling, running, duathlon and open water swimming. Part of Amaury Sport Organisation (A.S.O.), owners of Le Tour de France and the leader in the French running and sportive market, Human Race’s prestigious portfolio includes the Cancer Research UK Winter Run Series, Windsor Triathlon, Tour de Yorkshire Ride, and Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales.
We also specialise in delivering bespoke corporate events, working with businesses such as JLL. Our events bring together an active community of people taking part in sporting events for reasons ranging from fitness, competition, charity, health, fun or to simply finish. The event participants vary from nervous first timers of all ages, through to World Champions; collectively, the events raise millions of pounds for hundreds of charities.
At Human Race we aim to create, sell and organise world class events that will stand the test of time. We pride ourselves in operating as a sophisticated business in respect of any sector, a place where people can learn a lot and their careers can flourish. Human Race is fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere and filled with people who take great pride in the work that we do.
Purpose of the Role
This role is a perfect combination of the on-site physical necessities & requirements to build and deliver a mass participation sporting event, alongside the office based research / paperwork skills needed for its design & planning.
As such you will assist the Operations Team with the preparation work required in the lead up to events to ensure that they are planned and organised to the level of detail and quality needed in order to facilitate a smooth and efficiently run event on the day. You will also assist with the set up/break down and operational delivery of our event days and help to ensure that the events are delivered to a high specification, therefore continuing to uphold our reputation in the marketplace.
Given the time of year this role will help support the delivery of the London Winter Run, a closed road central London 10k running event, and also a brand new central London half marathon called the London Landmarks Half Marathon.
- To fulfil, under direction, the planning & administrative requirements relating to the design and organisation of the Events prior to Event Day
- To help to build & dismantle the event site / courses
- To help with the management of our equipment stores and to deliver and collect to/from event sites all equipment required for Event Day. This includes helping in the loading and unloading of vans of all event equipment such as signs, branding boards, transition racking etc
- To help to ensure that our events adhere to safe working practices and procedures
- To perform all requested & related duties and responsibilities as required, both in the office and on event sites
- With others in the Operations Team and the event Crew / Volunteers to ensure the successful delivery of events
- With Event stakeholders such as venues, councils, residents and businesses, participants, contractors
- With other departments in Human Race as required
Skills & Abilities Required
Skills & Competencies:
- Good organisational and time-management skills
- Good research + problem / situation analysis skills, with a natural propensity to finding solutions
- Ability to follow direction
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively
- A good understanding and knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs
- Ability to establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of your work
- Focus on quality
- Customer focus
- The ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humour
- Team player, resourceful, and also a self-starter with the ability to work using own initiative
- Clear, efficient, and effective decision making skills
- Must hold a full UK Driving Licence & be willing to drive a van
- An energetic & positive disposition
- Willing to work weekends, work outdoors at events, & work unsociable hours – including staying away from home as necessary. (All travel and accommodation for weekend working is paid for by us. You will be paid an additional crew day rate for the weekend days that you work.)
- A love of events &/or sport, particularly running, swimming, cycling, triathlon
How To Apply
Please also include in your cover letter when you would be available to start, and also confirm that you hold a full UK drivers licence.
All applications need to be submitted by 9am on Monday 9th October 2017.