Job vacancy: Operations Intern
24th February 2017
Job and Person Specification – Operations Intern
Company: Human Race
Position: Operations Intern
Location: Chessington, KT9 1RH
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract (beginning of April – second half / end of July 2017)
Salary: £1,129 per month (under 25’s); £1,170 per month (over 25’s)
Holiday: 20 days per annum (pro rata)
Human Race is the UK’s leading mass participation event’s company, organising over 30 events each year in triathlon, cycling, running, duathlon and open water swimming. Part of Amaury Sport Organisation (A.S.O.), owners of Le Tour de France and the leader in the French running and sportive market, Human Race’s prestigious portfolio includes the Windsor Triathlon, Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales, the Cancer Research UK Winter Run Series and VitalityMove.
We also specialise in delivering bespoke corporate events, working with businesses such as JLL and Cisco. Our events bring together an active community of people taking part in sporting events for reasons ranging from fitness, competition, charity, health, fun or to simply finish. The event participants vary from nervous first timers of all ages, through to World Champions; collectively, the events raise millions of pounds for hundreds of charities.
At Human Race we aim to create, sell and organise world class events that will stand the test of time. We pride ourselves in operating as a sophisticated business in respect of any sector, a place where people can learn a lot and their careers can flourish. Human Race is fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere and filled with people who take great pride in the work that we do.
Purpose of the Role
This role is a perfect combination of the on-site physical necessities & requirements to build and deliver a mass participation sporting event, alongside the office based research / paperwork skills needed for its design & planning.
As such you will assist the Operations Team with the preparation work required in the lead up to events in order to ensure that they are planned and organised to the level of detail and quality needed in order to facilitate a smooth and efficiently run event on the day. You will also assist with the set up/break down and operational delivery of our Event days to help to ensure that the events are delivered to a high specification, therefore continuing to uphold our reputation in the marketplace.
- To fulfil, under direction, the planning & administrative requirements relating to the design and organisation of the Events prior to Event Day
- To help to build & dismantle the event site / courses
- To help with the management of our equipment stores and to deliver and collect to/from event sites all equipment required for Event Day. This includes helping in the loading and unloading of vans of all event equipment such as signs, branding boards, transition racking etc
- To help to ensure that our events adhere to safe working practices and procedures
- To perform all requested & related duties and responsibilities as required, both in the office and on event sites
- With others in the Operations Team and the event Crew / Volunteers to ensure the successful delivery of events
- With Event stakeholders such as venues, councils, residents and businesses, participants, contractors
- With other departments in Human Race as required
Skills & Abilities Required
Skills & Competencies:
- Good organisational and time-management skills.
- Good research + problem / situation analysis skills, with a natural propensity to finding solutions.
- Ability to follow direction.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively.
- A good understanding and knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
- Ability to establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of your work.
- Focus on quality
- Customer focus
Relevant Experience For The Role
- The ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humour.
- Team player, resourceful, and also a self-starter with the ability to work using own initiative.
- Clear, efficient, and effective decision making skills.
Technical Knowledge Required
- Must hold a full UK Driving Licence & be willing to drive a van
Other Significant Role Requirements: other factors which have a bearing on a candidate’s ability to perform:
- An energetic & positive disposition
- Willing to work weekends, work outdoors at events, & work unsociable hours – including staying away from home as necessary.
(All travel and accommodation for weekend working is paid for by us. You will be paid an additional crew day rate for the weekend days that you work).
- A love of events &/or sport, particularly running, swimming, cycling, triathlon
How To Apply
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9th March 2017.
(Please state what date you will be available to start from in your letter)