Job vacancy: Marketing and Communications Manager – Cycling Portfolio
24th May 2018
Company: Human Race
Position: Marketing and Communications Manager – Cycling Portfolio
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Contract Type: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: £25k- £30k per annum
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in cycling, triathlon, running and swimming. The company is part of A.S.O., one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably Le Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Paris Marathon.
We are looking for a Marketing and Communications Manager to drive awareness and registrations for our events in our cycling portfolio. Human Race organises the country’s leading portfolio of cycling events which includes two Le Tour de France public rides, the prestigious TP ICAP L’Etape London and Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales by Le Tour de France as well as the famous Tour de Yorkshire Ride, Chiltern 100 Cycling Festival and the Saddleback Fred Whitton Challenge.
This is a unique opportunity to lead the commercial direction of a UK cycling portfolio working as part of the world’s most influential cycling organisation.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a small duathlon we’ve run for 26 years or a brand new large-scale event with a celebrity ambassador.
Purpose of the Role
The Human Race marketing team is responsible for delivering the commercial strategy and marketing activation for around 30 events per year in the sports of cycling, triathlon and running. The Marketing and Communications Manager – Cycling, will be responsible for leading the marketing strategy and delivery of activity for the cycling portfolio, contributing significantly towards the development of the events themselves, as well as managing the Marketing and Communications Executive.
Ultimately the aim is to attract as many participants as possible, making the events famous and helping to drive awareness and engagement for the events sponsors and partners. The role will involve a lot of variety, and whilst there will be support from across the commercial and marketing team, the Marketing and Communications Manager will be responsible for managing their own workload and hitting key deadlines.
- Devise and activate the marketing and commercial strategy for each of the cycling events organised by Human Race
- Allocate and managing the relative marketing budgets across advertising, paid ambassadors, content creation and new campaigns
- Deliver PR and communications (press release writing and distribution, management of sport specific and local media relationships, hosting of media events)
- Develop and expand grassroots relationships, for example with cycling clubs
- Grow and develop relationships with key local stakeholders e.g. councils, community groups and tourist boards
- Manage and create content for social media channels
- Seek out and generate new contra-marketing and media partnerships with relevant businesses and other bodies
- Work alongside the events sponsors and their marketing teams to deliver joint marketing activities
- Attend the cycling events as the lead Human Race commercial representative and to carry out relevant duties within that event e.g. press liaison, celebrity management, social media activation, and capturing content (case studies, working with photographers / videographers)
- Manage fulfilment of advertising campaigns, writing copy & briefing design agencies
- Manage relationships with design and digital agencies, including writing concise briefs
- Effectively delegating tasks to the Marketing Executive
- Developing and fostering personal relationships with relevant journalists
- With the Head of Marketing
- With the Marketing & Communications Executive – Cycling/Triathlon
- With the wider Commercial Team, particularly the Partnerships team
Skills and Experience Required
- A creative thinker, confident with expressing opinions and generating new ideas
- A commercial mind, with a focus on driving revenue
- Strong networking skills
- Personable and passionate
- Very good project and time management skills
- Ability to self-manage
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in meetings / on the telephone and in writing
- Be able to write copy in different tones of voice appropriate to the relevant audience
- Ideally educated to degree standard
- Previous work experience within a sports environment would be an advantage
- Minimum 2-3 years marketing and communications experience either agency or in-house
- Networking / building relationships having successfully set up partnerships
- Have managed budgets, or elements of a budget
- A passion for cycling would be very beneficial for the role
- A love of sport in general and an energetic disposition
- Ability to speak French would be an advantage
- Full clean driving licence would be useful
- Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends
How To Apply
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.