Job Vacancy: Marketing and Communications Manager – Cycling Event Portfolio and Le Tour de France UK
3rd September 2018
Company: Human Race
Position: Marketing and Communications Manager – Cycling Portfolio of events & Le Tour de France UK
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Contract Type: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: £28k- £33k per annum
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in cycling, triathlon, running and swimming. The company is part of A.S.O., one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably Le Tour de France, Dakar Rally and mass participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Paris Marathon.
We are looking for a Marketing and Communications Manager to drive awareness and registrations for our events in our cycling portfolio. Human Race organises the country’s leading portfolio of cycling events which includes two Le Tour de France public rides, the prestigious TP ICAP L’Etape London and Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales by Le Tour de France as well as the famous Tour de Yorkshire Ride, Chiltern 100 Cycling Festival and the Saddleback Fred Whitton Challenge. They will also be managing a Senior Executive who works on our Triathlon events.
The position will also be required to drive engagement of the Tour de France brand in the UK. This means growing awareness with new audiences and affinity with existing ones of this world-famous event. This is a unique opportunity to lead the commercial direction of a UK cycling portfolio of events as well as work closely with the Tour de France and ASO, the world’s most influential cycling organisation. The role would also have input into UK marketing plans for overseas events such as L’Etape du Tour, Paris-Roubaix challenge, Roc d’Azur and Titan Dessert.
15%-20% of the roles time will be spend on Tour de France and other overseas events, while the focus will be 80% of the time working on the UK based events.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a small duathlon we’ve run for 28 years or a brand-new event with a celebrity ambassador.
Purpose of the Role
The Human Race marketing team is responsible for delivering the commercial strategy and marketing activation for around 20 events per year in the sports of cycling, triathlon and running. The Marketing and Communications Manager – Cycling, will be responsible for leading the marketing strategy and delivery of activity for the ‘wheels’ portfolio, contributing significantly towards the development of the events themselves, as well as managing the Senior Marketing Executive on the Triathlon events
The role has 2 main parts. Firstly the aim is to attract as many participants as possible, making the events famous and helping to drive awareness and engagement for the events sponsors and partners (80% of time). Secondly managing the Tour de France Brand in the UK and building the strength of the brand locally (20% of time)
The role will involve a lot of variety, and whilst there will be support from across the commercial and marketing team, the Marketing and Communications Manager will be responsible for managing their own workload and hitting key deadlines.
Building strategy to improve:
- Registrations in our mass events
- Awareness and engagement (of fans and partners) of the Tour de France
Implementing action plans, including:
- Deliver PR and communications (press release writing and distribution, management of sport specific and local media relationships, hosting of media events)
- Develop and expand grassroots relationships, for example with cycling clubs
- Grow and develop relationships with key local stakeholders e.g. councils, community groups and tourist boards
- Manage and create content for social media channels
- Seek out and generate new contra-marketing and media partnerships with relevant businesses and other bodies
- Work alongside the events sponsors and their marketing teams to deliver joint marketing activities
- Attend the cycling & triathlon events as the lead Human Race commercial representative and to carry out relevant duties within that event e.g. press liaison, celebrity management, MC on occasion, social media activation, and capturing content (case studies, working with photographers / videographers)
- Manage fulfilment of advertising campaigns, writing copy & briefing design agencies
- Manage relationships with design and digital agencies, including writing concise briefs and delivering excellent results
- Effectively delegating tasks to other members of the team when needed
- Developing and fostering personal relationships with relevant journalists
- Budget management, including forecasting income and creating business cases
- With the Head of Marketing
- With the Marketing & Communications Executive – Cycling/Triathlon
- With ASO Team in Paris (Travel will be required)
- With the wider Commercial Team, particularly the Partnerships team
Skills and Experience Required
- A creative thinker, confident with expressing opinions and generating new ideas
- A commercial mind, with a focus on driving revenue
- Strong networking skills
- Personable and passionate
- Very good project and time management skills
- Ability to self-manage
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in meetings / on the telephone and in writing
- Be able to write copy in different tones of voice appropriate to the relevant audience
- Ideally educated to degree standard
- A love and knowledge of professional cycling
- Fluency in French is highly desirable.
- Previous work experience within a sports environment would be an advantage
- Minimum 3 years marketing and communications experience either agency or in-house
- Networking / building relationships having successfully set up partnerships
- Have managed budgets, or elements of a budget
- Although knowledge of professional cycling is required, we do not require that you yourself are an avid cyclist (though this could be advantageous)
- A love of sport in general and an energetic disposition
- Full clean driving licence would be useful
- Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends
How To Apply
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com by Friday 28th September.