Job vacancy: Marketing and Communications Intern
2nd August 2017
Job and Person Specification
Company: Human Race
Position: Marketing and Communications Intern
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Contract Type: Fixed Term (1st Sept 2017 – 2nd Feb 2018)
Salary: 21-24 years old – £1,145.63 pcm, 25 years old + – £1,218.75 pcm
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in cycling, triathlon and running. The company is part of A.S.O., one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably Le Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Schneider Electric Paris Marathon.
We are looking for a Marketing and Communications Intern to help drive awareness and registrations for events in our portfolio of events.
Human Race organises over 35 events annually including two le Tour de France public cycling sportives, London’s biggest 10k race, the Cancer Research UK London Winter Run, the famous Nuffield Health Royal Windsor Triathlon and most recently added to the portfolio is the UK’s number one rated marathon the Asics Greater Manchester Marathon.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a small duathlon we’ve run for 27 years or a brand new large-scale event with celebrity ambassadors.
Purpose of the Role
The Marketing and Communications Intern will support the Marketing and Communications Team in meeting our commercial objectives for the year. Their time will be focused on developing local and grassroots relationships to drive event entries as well as supporting with the delivering of various marketing campaigns and initiatives, such as setting up new partnerships, assisting in PR delivery and managing the fulfilment of advertising campaigns.
- To contact local businesses / sports clubs to develop grass-roots relationships
- To grow and develop relationships with key local stakeholders e.g. councils, community groups and tourist boards
- To support fulfillment of advertising creative
- To respond to social media enquiries and update social media posts and ads to support the marketing of events
- To seek out and generate new contra-marketing partnerships with relevant businesses and other bodies
- To lead event listings management on partner and other sport websites to help drive entries
- To support with copy writing for marketing and media opportunities
- To build relationships with sports shops and distribute flyers to businesses, gyms and clubs
- To attend some weekend events as a representative of the Human Race commercial team and to carry out relevant duties within that event
- To draft and distribute press releases and support with hosting media events
- With the Marketing Managers and Executives
- With the wider Commercial Team, particularly the Marketing Director
Skills and Experience Required
- Good organisation skills and time-management skills
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in meetings / on the telephone and in writing
- A commercial thinker
- Personable, passionate and a good networker
- Interact courteously and effectively with partners, local businesses, participants and staff
- Educated to degree standard
- A creative thinker, confident with expressing opinions and generating new ideas
- Attention to detail
- Goes the extra mile
- Motivated to achieve
- Previous work experience within a sports environment would be an advantage
- Copy writing
- Networking / building relationships
- A good understanding and knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Photoshop would be a bonus
- A love of sport, particularly running, cycling, triathlon, and an energetic disposition
- Full clean driving license would be beneficial to the role
- Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com by Monday 21st August 2017.