Job vacancy: Marketing and Communications Executive – Triathlon/Cycling Portfolio
2nd August 2017
Job and Person Specification
Company: Human Race
Position: Marketing and Communications Executive – Triathlon/Cycling Portfolio
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Contract Type: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: £20-£24 per annum
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in cycling, triathlon and running. The company is part of A.S.O., one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably Le Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Schneider Electric Paris Marathon.
We are looking for a Marketing and Communications Executive to help drive awareness and registrations for events in our triathlon and cycling portfolios.
Human Race has been organising triathlon events for 27 years, most notably creating the famous Nuffield Health Royal Windsor Triathlon, hosting many ITU World Triathlon Qualifiers, BTF National Championships and organising many popular public and corporate events for triathletes of all abilities.
In cycling, Human Race owns the UK’s leading portfolio of events, which includes two le Tour de France public rides, the prestigious ICAP L’Etape London and Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales by Le Tour de France as well as the famous Maserati Tour de Yorkshire Ride, Chiltern 100 Sportive and Saddleback Fred Whitton Challenge.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the successful candidate to gain an extremely well-rounded set of skills with a significant amount of responsibility.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a small duathlon we’ve run for 27 years or a brand new large-scale event with celebrity ambassadors.
Purpose of the Role
The Human Race marketing team is responsible for delivering the commercial strategy and marketing activation for around 35 events per year in the sports of cycling, triathlon and running. The Marketing and Communications Executive – Triathlon/Cycling will be responsible for leading the marketing strategy and delivery of activity for the triathlon portfolio and supporting the Marketing Manager – Cycling in contributing significantly towards the delivery of campaigns.
Ultimately the aim is to attract as many participants as possible, making the events famous and helping to drive awareness and engagement for the events’ sponsors and partners. The role will involve a lot of variety, and whilst there will be support from across the commercial and marketing team, the Marketing and Communications Executive will be responsible for managing their own workload and hitting key deadlines.
- Devise and activate the marketing and commercial strategy for each of the triathlon events
- Support the delivery of the cycling marketing campaign
- Manage the advertising budget for the Triathlon events
- Develop and expand grassroots relationships, for example with triathlon and cycling clubs
- Grow and develop relationships with key local stakeholders e.g. councils / community groups
- Seek out and generate new contra-marketing and media partnerships with relevant businesses
- Work alongside the events sponsors and their marketing teams to deliver joint marketing
- Support delivery of PR and Communications (press release writing and distribution, management of sport specific and local media relationships, hosting of media events)
- Manage and create content for Social Media channels
- Attend the triathlon and cycling events on occasion as the lead Human Race commercial representative and to carry out relevant duties
- Book and negotiate advertising campaigns
- Manage fulfillment of advertising campaigns, writing copy & briefing design agencies
- Fulfill several administration duties related to the delivery of the marketing activity, such as post event reporting
- With the Marketing Director
- With the Marketing & Communications Manager – Cycling
- With the wider Commercial Team
Skills and Experience Required
- A creative thinker, confident with expressing opinions and generating new ideas
- A commercial mind with strong networking skills
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in meetings / on the telephone and in writing.
- Can write copy in different tones of voice appropriate to the relevant audience
- Personable and Passionate
- Very good project and time management skills
- Ability to self-manage
- Ideally educated to degree standard
- Previous work experience within a sports environment would be an advantage.
- Min 1 years marketing and communications experience either agency or in-house
- Networking / building relationships having successfully set up partnerships
- A passion for Triathlon / Cycling would be very beneficial for the role
- A love of sport in general and an energetic disposition
- Ability to speak French would be an advantage
- Full clean driving licence would be useful
- Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 14th August 2017.