Job vacancy: Marketing and Communications Executive – Cycling & Running
16th December 2016
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in triathlon, cycling, running and swimming. The company has recently been acquired by ASO, one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably Le Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Paris Marathon.
We are looking for a Marketing and Communications Executive to support the Marketing & Communications Manager and Senior Executive in driving awareness and registrations for our cycling and running events. They will also form part of the wider Marketing team, with a number of their own responsibilities. Human Race organises the country’s leading portfolio of cycling events which includes the prestigious ICAP L’Etape London and Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales by Le Tour de France. Running events currently owned and organised by Human Race include the Cancer Research UK London Winter Run, the largest 10k in the capital, and VitalityMove, a brand new running event series with Jessica Ennis-Hill.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a small duathlon we’ve run for 26 years or a brand new large scale event with a celebrity ambassador.
Purpose of the Role
The Human Race marketing team is responsible for delivering the commercial strategy and marketing activation for around 35 events per year in the sports of triathlon, running and cycling. The Marketing and Communications Executive will assist in delivering the marketing activity for the cycling and running events and work with the team to devise the overarching strategy. Ultimately the aim is to attract as many participants as possible, making the events famous and helping to drive awareness for the events sponsors and partners. The role will involve a lot of variety, and whilst there will be support from across the commercial and marketing team, the Marketing and Communications Executive will be responsible for managing their own workload and hitting key deadlines.
- Activate aspects of the marketing plans for all Cycling and Running events organized by Human Race
- Develop and expand grassroots relationships, for example with running or cycling clubs
- Deliver PR and Communications (press release writing and distribution, management of sport specific and local media relationships, hosting of media events)
- Grow and develop relationships with key local stakeholders e.g. councils, community groups and tourist boards
- Manage and create content for the Social Media channels
- Seek out and generate new contra-marketing and media partnerships with relevant businesses and other bodies
- Work alongside the marketing teams of the events sponsors to deliver joint marketing activities
- To attend a number of the events as a representative of the Human Race commercial team and to carry out relevant duties within that event
- Manage fulfillment of advertising campaigns, writing copy & briefing design agencies
- Contribute creativity to marketing plans and campaigns, whilst remaining commercially aware
- Fulfill a number of administration duties (data management etc)
- With the Marketing Manager (Running) and Senior Marketing Executive (Cycling)
- With the wider Commercial Team, particularly Marketing Director
Skills and Experience Required
- A creative thinker, confident with expressing opinions and generating new ideas
- A commercial mind with a strong networking skills
- Personable and Passionate
- Very good project and time management skills
- Ability to self-manage
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in meetings / on the telephone and in writing.
- Be able to write copy in different tones of voice appropriate to the relevant audience
- Ideally educated to degree standard
- Previous work experience within a sports environment would be an advantage.
- Min 1-2 years marketing and communications experience either agency or in-house
- Networking / building relationships having successfully set up partnerships
- A passion for cycling and/or running would be very beneficial for the role
- A love of sport in general and an energetic disposition
- Full clean driving licence would be useful
Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends.
To apply, please send your CV to Chris Atkinson (firstname.lastname@example.org).