Job vacancy: Head of Sales
19th April 2018
Company: Human Race Ltd (part of ASO – owners of Le Tour de France, Paris Marathon and Dakar Rally)
Position: Head of Sales
Location: South West London / Chessington, Surrey (30 mins from Waterloo)
Contract Type: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: £40k plus competitive commission structure
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in cycling, triathlon and running. The company is part of A.S.O., one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably Le Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Schneider Electric Paris Marathon.
Human Race organises over 30 events (running, cycling and triathlon) in the UK including the prestigious Maserati Tour de Yorkshire Ride, Cancer Research UK London Winter Run, Asics Greater Manchester Marathon and Royal Windsor Triathlon.
We pride ourselves on being one of the most forward-thinking commercial organisations in our sector. We aim to benchmark our activity alongside the leading organisations from all industry sectors and are looking for an equally ambitious, proven and broad skilled Head of Marketing to lead us forward.
We are seeking a Head of Sales within the business to maximise third party partner revenue, mainly through sponsorship sales.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a small duathlon we’ve run for 26 years or a major city centre mass event for 25,000 people.
Purpose of the Role
The Head of Sales will be responsible for devising and managing the delivery of the sales strategy for Human Race. The role will involve identifying the sales opportunities within the events rights packages, identifying how brands will want to interact with our rights, assessing the most relevant brands to speak to, and go through the sales process – from initial conversation through to signature.
Alongside this, we need a sales person who has an understanding of marketing, so as to be able to present to brands with solutions to their challenges and how they can tell stories through our events to their target audiences.
It is a sophisticated sales pitch which needs marketing empathy alongside sales craft.
The role’s core purpose is:
- Sign new fee paying partners to work alongside our platform of events
- Working with the partners to help them understand they need to add value to the participant experience
- Reporting directly to CEO, responsible for setting and achieving the sales targets
- A valued member of the Human Race Senior Team
- Management of individuals; their sales targets and performance (currently a team of 2)
- Structuring the sales priorities
- Attend networking opportunities to broaden and deepen contacts
- Input into drafting contracts
- Working with the CEO and CFO as well as other department heads to ensure collaboration – (Sales, Partners, Customer Service, Operations, Finance) plus the wider ASO business
Skills and Experience Required
Personality traits (the following traits are deemed as important)
- Belief in ability to always grow, develop and improve through hard work
- Curious in approach and a robust attitude to failure (learn and move on)
- Resilient in body and spirit
- Passionate and committed – with a smile
- A sales person who has a proven track record of selling multi-faceted products
- Completely commercial minded and ROI focused
- Confident networker with excellent presentation ability
- A creative mindset and ability to look beyond standard advertising/hospitality solutions
- Very good project and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time
- Previous experience as Sales Manager or Head of Sales or equivalent position
- Experience of sophisticated audience segmentation
- Experience of managing marketing budgets
- A passion for sport would be very beneficial for the role
- Good knowledge of powerpoint and Microsoft word
- Ability to speak French would help but isn’t necessary
- Full clean driving licence would be useful
- Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends (attending the sports events)
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 4 May 2018.