Job vacancy: Head of Marketing
12th January 2018
Company: Human Race Ltd (part of ASO – owners of Le Tour de France, Paris Marathon and Dakar Rally)
Position: Head of Marketing
Location: West London / Chessington, Surrey (30 mins from Waterloo)
Contract Type: Full Time – Permanent
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in cycling, triathlon, running and swimming. The company is part of A.S.O., one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably Le Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Paris Marathon.
Human Race organises over 35 events (running, cycling and triathlon) in the UK including the prestigious Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales by Le Tour de France, Cancer Research UK London Winter Run, Asics Greater Manchester Marathon and Royal Windsor Triathlon.
We pride ourselves on being one of the most forward-thinking commercial organisations in our sector. We aim to benchmark our activity alongside the leading organisations from all industry sectors and our looking for an equally ambitious, proven and broad skilled Head of Marketing to lead us forward.
We are seeking a Head of Marketing within the business to maximise customer revenue, mainly through participation entries, and to support the ROI offered to commercial partnerships with the acquisition of new sponsorship.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a small duathlon we’ve run for 26 years or a major city centre project for 20,000 people.
Purpose of the Role
The Head of Marketing will be responsible for devising and managing the delivery of the marketing strategy for Human Race. The role will involve managing the Marketing and Digital teams, responsible for maximising customer income, campaign activation, building and managing digital platforms and communications and supporting the acquisition of new sponsorship.
We own our own events; the customers are varied and with it, the marketing activity is hugely varied, and we are never afraid of trying new tactics.
100,000 people enter our events for multiple reasons – personal goals, lose weight, charity, alongside friends or colleagues, to win. As a result, the marketing role is fascinating, and we need a marketer who can apply empathy to the customer variety.
The role’s core purpose is:
- Drive customer income growth
- Influence and develop the broader mass participation strategy as a member of the Senior Management team
- Reporting directly to the CEO, responsible for the commercial development of the event portfolio
- A vital member of the Human Race Senior Team to support numerous wider business strategies
- Management of team of six
- Overseeing delivery of commercial strategies including:
- CRM and data
- Digital marketing
- Brand development
- Creative design
- Pricing and offers
- Customer retention and frequency
- Media and PR
- Setting and managing the activation of marketing budget
- Management of third party agencies and outsourcing strategy
- Marketing philosophies – which channels / tactics do we believe in / invest in
- Maintaining existing and developing new Media and Marketing Partner Relationships
- Approvals of team activity (designs, press releases, emails, budget spends, creative concepts, etc.)
- Ensuring collaborative working across commercial departments
- Creation of team processes – unified strategy documents, unified marketing plans, etc.
- Management of roles and responsibilities balance and prioritisation of tasks
- Senior relationship with a number of partners
- Attending key sponsorship sales meetings and supporting sales offer creation
- Working with other department heads to ensure collaboration – (Sales, Partners, Customer Service, Operations, Finance) as well as with the wider ASO business
- With Human Race CEO
- With senior colleagues at ASO in Paris
- With New Business Director
- With Head of Partnerships
- With Finance Director
- With Operations Director
- With Customer Service Manager
- With the Marketing team
Skills and Experience Required
Personality traits (the following traits are deemed as important):
- Belief in ability to always grow, develop and improve through hard work
- Curious in approach and a robust attitude to failure (learn and move on)
- Resilient in body and spirit
- Passionate and committed – with a smile
- A marketer who thinks about where marketing will be in three years’ time
- Completely commercial-minded and ROI-focused
- A natural leader and manager of people – coaching individuals to become the best they can be
- Confident networker with excellent presentation ability
- A data and insight led marketer
- An understanding and interest in digital marketing and its capabilities
- Very good project and time management skills
- A passion for innovative marketing, trying and failing if needs be
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time
- An understanding and grasp of behavioral psychology / empathy to the customer
- Previous experience as Head of Marketing or equivalent position
- A consumer marketing background ideally linked to retail
- Experience across a wide mix of marketing tactics (advertising, PR, CRM, partnerships, grassroots)
- Experience of sophisticated audience segmentation
- Experience of managing marketing budgets
- Experience of managing high level stakeholder relationships
- Management of numerous line-reports
- A passion for sport would be very beneficial for the role
- Ability to speak French would be an advantage
- Full clean driving licence would be useful
- Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends (attending the sports events)
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter (including salary expectations) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 31 January 2018.