Job vacancy: Event Director & Operations Manager (maternity cover)
4th December 2017
Job and Person Specification
Company: Xtra Mile Events owned by Human Race Ltd – part of ASO (owners of Tour de France)
Position: Event Director & Operations Manager
Location: Hale Barns, Trafford
Contract Type: Maternity Cover (Freelance candidates may also apply)
Start Date: February 2018
Xtra Mile Events are an award-winning professional sports events management company, organising a range of high quality mass participation runs, triathlons and duathlons in Greater Manchester and the North West of England. The portfolio includes the double award winning ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon and the Manchester Half Marathon.
Xtra Mile are owned by Human Race, a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in cycling, triathlon, running and swimming. Both companies are part of A.S.O., one of the world’s largest sports events organisers whose portfolio includes Le Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Paris Marathon.
We pride ourselves on being one of the most professional organisations in our sector. We aim to deliver flagship events for all ages and abilities in a safe, fun environment in some of the best locations available.
The role will involve being event director for all Xtra Mile events including the Greater Manchester Marathon (15k entrants) and Manchester Half Marathon (12k entrants) as well as the portfolio of triathlon, running and duathlon events throughout the year – http://www.xtramileevents.com/.
This is a really exciting opportunity for an ambitious Event Manager to take ownership of delivering an exciting portfolio for a market leading organisation.
The role is maternity cover but we will consider applications from freelance candidates who are able to deliver accordingly.
Purpose of the Role
The Xtra Mile team is responsible for delivering all elements of 6 events per year including two Manchester flagship running events on fully closed roads.
The Event Director has three main objectives:
- Planning – the thorough and detailed planning of all events
- Delivery – the safe and enjoyable delivery of all events
- Development – the development of each event as a product in a competitive market
- Logistics – Ensure all necessary data is populated onto the company’s Project Management System.
- Reporting – Use the Project Management System to track and report progress of simultaneously organised events and relevant KPIs at e.g. weekly team meetings. The role holder will be responsible for ensuring all stages of events organisation are kept on schedule; and will implement relevant strategies to monitor this (and to address any delays).
- Task delivery – To organise and manage events within the Xtra Mile Events portfolio from planning through to delivery, including working as Event Director at events.
- Event documentation – Manage the production of all required event documentation including, but not limited to, route maps, site plans, operations manuals, health & safety documentation, staff responsibilities, traffic management plans etc.
- Event Staffing – Ensure that events are adequately staffed (with Event Crew and Event Volunteers).
- Stakeholder liaison – To manage the relationships with all event stakeholders, ensuring that all permissions, risk assessments and relevant applications are completed and submitted within deadlines.
- Third Parties – To manage suppliers and contractors to ensure that they provide an efficient and effective service whilst staying within budgeted limits.
- Event day responsibilities
To manage the event site and route throughout set-up, event day and break down; including managing all infrastructure, contractors, suppliers, and personnel.
To ensure the events adhere to safe working practices and procedures and comply with current Health & Safety regulations.
To take the lead on site and brief and manage the Event Crew and Event Team Leaders.
To manage all events equipment both on site at events, and in storage throughout the year.
- Continuous Improvement
To identify opportunities to improve operational and service methods and procedures.
- Internal Communication
To ensure efficient and effective communication within the office team
To liaise with the Commercial Team to ensure all relevant information is communicated effectively.
- Budget Management
To manage event budgets and report to the Operations Director on a regular basis.
- With the Human Race Operations Director
- With the Human Race Chief Executive
- With colleagues in the Xtra Mile office (operations, marketing, partnerships, participant services, finance)
- With Event Crew, Contractors and Volunteers
- With host councils and venues to ensure expectations are met
- With all event stakeholders to ensure a smooth, efficient and safe events are delivered
Skills and Experience Required
- To be adaptable, curious, resilient and above all passionate
- To be able to plan and organise events to the highest standard
- The ability to analyse problems and identify solutions
- Project management skills
- Ability to inspire, motivate and manage teams to work enthusiastically and effectively
- To be able to follow and communicate instructions and to use own initiative
- Able to communicate clearly, accurately and concisely both verbally and in writing
- To be able to plan and organise work to meet schedules and timelines
- Able to work to a budget and be aware of budgetary constraints
- Interact courteously and effectively with the public and be able to do so when faced with difficult people or situations
- Diplomacy: the successful candidate should be self-confident, adaptable, results orientated with a strong focus on quality and customer service.
- Computer literate with ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint as absolute minimum)
- Full, clean driving license, car owner with ability to drive a van
- A passion for sport, and an energetic, good humoured personality
- Important to have a proven track record of delivering major mass participation events
- Min 5 years’ experience in a similar role
Successful candidates in the first round of assessment will be invited to interview during w/c 8th January 2018 so please ensure your availability during this time.